THE MINER'S MEMORIAL SHELTER
The Miner's Memorial shelter is located on the Carl Hall grounds of the park, midway between the Sentinel Shelter to the south and the Gragg Street entrance to the north. This picnic shelter offers two grills access to water and restroom facilities.
March 25, 1949, an explosion rumbled through the Number Nine Mine southwest of Centralia, claiming the lives of one hundred and eleven miners. The community wanted to create a monument in the memory of all those who lost their lives. A stone picnic shelter in the newly formed Centralia Foundation Parks system, soon became that monument. Memorials to these miners were used to construct this shelter, so aptly named The Miner's Memorial. A bronze plaque on the north side of the shelter contains the names of every man who lost their life in the mine disaster.